EWU honors veterans with library display

JFK Library and Veterans Resource Center collaborate on display featuring uniforms, medals and historic photos.

A+photo+and+the+uniform+of+Harold+%22Huck%22+J.+Tanguay.+Tanguay+served+in+the+U.S.+Army+Special+Forces+Intelligence+NCO+from+1960+to+1980.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A photo and the uniform of Harold

A photo and the uniform of Harold "Huck" J. Tanguay. Tanguay served in the U.S. Army Special Forces Intelligence NCO from 1960 to 1980.

Richard N. Clark IV

Richard N. Clark IV

Richard N. Clark IV

By Amanda Haworth, Chief Copy Editor

No one went to class on Monday.

One hundred years ago the Great War ended and it was thought by many that this would be the war to end all wars. This was not the case. If you look in the JFK Library, you will see evidence of other brutal wars that followed World War I. There is even a World War II uniform sitting in the library right now. It will be there on display until Nov. 16.

There are plenty of veterans in the EWU community, including Veterans Corps Navigator and alumnus Lou Santiago, who were behind a lot of the display currently up in the library. When it comes to future installments of this display, Santiago commented on what one of the goals is.

“I think just showing the students how much veteran interaction there is here,” Santiago said. “How many people, how many vets are on campus. What are some of the vets doing in and around campus. Just getting it out there that we are all over the place.”

The library has been the host of this Veterans Day display for the last few years.

“Every year we’re really fortunate to have this display exhibited in the library,” library Program Specialist II Amy Laskowski said. “Every year it takes on slightly different forms. This year we’re really lucky to have additional materials provided featuring uniforms from people who served actively on behalf of our country.”

Richard N. Clark IV
Charles Baker’s U.S. Army Air Forces uniform from World War I on display in the library. Baker was a B-24 Aerial Gunner from 1943-1945.

This year I have actually had people respond emotionally to the display in really positive ways”

— Amy Laskowski, Library Program Specialist II

Some students may not know why there is a day off in the middle of November. Unless there is a direct connection to someone who has served or is currently serving, there may not be a lot of connection to the federal holiday.

“I do think a lot of students aren’t aware of why we have Monday off, a federal holiday, around Veterans Day,” Director of the Veterans Resource Center Dave Millet said. “There is this military-civilian gap. So non-serving people who don’t have family members or don’t have a friend or a brother or sister who have served, they don’t know what Veterans Day is about. […] That is one of the reasons we put that display up in the library and we’ve made it more robust every year.”

The history of Veterans Day began 100 years ago as explained by Millet.

“This year is the 100th anniversary of World War I,” Millet said. “[The holiday] used to be called Armistice Day and then in the [19]50s […] it changed to Veterans Day. Basically after the Great War, or World War I, they felt that there should be some way to recognize service members and this just also happens to be the 100th year of the end of World War I. […] It was just a way for both the government and those who have not served to recognize our veterans.”

Both Millet and Laskowski agree on the library being a center of student traffic bringing more attention to the display.

“It’s maybe not a question of allow [rather] it’s just being honored that [the Veterans Resource Center] would want to house [the display] and that we’re fortunate to be in the very center of the campus intellectually and physically,” Laskowski said. “So we’re just fortunate they approach us every year. I think it’s smart of them to locate it here because we have really become a center of activity with the PUB being down.”

Richard N. Clark IV
Medals on display in the JFK Library. There are medals from World War I and the wars that followed.

Millet commented on the amount of students going in and out of the library.

“The library has got tons of foot traffic,” Millet said. “We were able to get [the Veterans Day display] right inside the entryway. So it’s just a way for students to hopefully take a pause at the display.”

The PUB’s two year absence could be seen as a good thing bringing more students into the library and, in result, allows for more eyes to catch the Veterans Day display. This could cause potential for disrespecting the display being that it is so exposed. But according to Laskowski, the display has been honored by students passing by since the start of this presentation.

“This year I have actually had people respond emotionally to the display in really positive ways wanting to share stories about their loved ones currently serving or having served in the past,” Laskowski said. “We’ve had people wanting to hang their family’s photos on the board which in recent memory I can’t remember that sort of sharing being so visible. So I think this year, having it right in the center—with the uniforms—and really showcasing it is a great benefit for everybody.”

Richard N. Clark IV
The items on display are borrowed from friends and family members of veterans and service members. The Veterans Day display has been going on since the fall of 2012.

The Veterans Resource Center located in Showalter Hall opened up about six years ago. It is the largest in the Pacific Northwest according to the EWU Resource Center brochure.

“[The Veterans Day display] started in the fall of 2012 and we picked the library because I think the volume of students who come in and out of there,” Millet said. “Several years ago it was in the alcove off to the right. I think the library has been very supportive in letting us put it right out front and take up space and give us the glass cases and such. It is just a visual reminder to students what Veterans Day is about.”

More students are likely to see the exhibit. Since the weather is getting colder, the PUB is not finished and finals are approaching, more students will flock to the library and be able to pass by the display. The library has one more thing to experience this week besides a place to study or get coffee.

“There’s so much going on in the world whether it’s politically, economically, culturally, that it’s traditions like these whether it’s celebrating Veterans Day or celebrating Harvest Fest,” Laskowski said. “It’s those calendar occasions that really remind us why we’re here to enjoy the time we spend together as faculty, staff, students as a community. So I think this year more than ever these traditions resonate more this year especially.”

It has already been 100 years since World War I ended and Veterans Day—known at first as Armistice Day—came to exist. The Veterans Day display will be exhibited in JFK from Nov. 5 to Nov. 16.

About the Contributors
Amanda Haworth, Chief Copy Editor

Amanda Haworth is The Easterner’s Chief Copy Editor. Haworth, a senior studying English Literature, grew up in western Washington and is in her second...

Richard N. Clark IV, Multimedia Director

Richard N. Clark IV is The Easterner’s Multimedia Director. Clark, a junior studying political science and journalism, hopes to own and operate his own...