A knack for nutrition

Former University of Michigan strength and conditioning coach hired to EWU athletic department staff

By Taylor Newquist, Sports Editor

The EWU athletic department checked another box on its summer to-do list with the hire of Nate Barry as the new assistant athletic director for athletic performance on June 19.

Barry will plan and implement all aspects of individual performance of EWU’s student athletes including strength, conditioning, flexibility and nutrition. He will spend most of his time with the football and basketball programs. He will also oversee three other assistants and graduate assistants to implement his plans across all of EWU athletics.

Courtesy of EWU Athletics.

Barry told The Easterner that the potential of the Eastern Washington region and his belief in the people in the athletic department drew him to the position. He said specifically that he believes in athletic director Lynn Hickey and her plans moving forward.

“I have a passion for the development of student athletes,” Barry said. “I enjoy athletics and competition at all levels and it is fun to have a part in developing the competitive edge.”

On the top of Barry’s plans for improving athletes’ performance is nutrition. He said that student athletes need to have more options when it comes to the things they eat, especially when traveling. He also said that it is hard for student athletes to find time to cook and shop for food, and suggested teaching meal preparation to cut down on that time.

“We need to be building our [level of] competition through being the best prepared with nutrition,” Barry said.  

Prior to joining the EWU ranks, Barry spent three years working as the strength and conditioning coach at the University of Michigan, and has totaled 11 years in the NCAA Division I, with experience at Oregon State University and the University of Idaho.

“We’re fortunate to have Nate join our department and lead our strength, conditioning and nutrition efforts,” EWU athletic director Lynn Hickey said. “He comes to us with a wealth of experience from other schools at our level. He has hit the ground running and will be an integral part of our success in working closely with our student-athletes.”

The head cross-country coaching position and senior women’s administrator position remain open. Hickey told The Easterner earlier this month that those hires should be filled by the second week of July.

Taylor Newquist, Sports Editor

Taylor Newquist is The Easterner’s Sports Editor. Newquist, a senior studying journalism, was born in Yakima, and graduated Selah High School in 2015....