Editors’ Picks

By The Easterner, Editorial Board

Movie: “The Post”

In the most recent Steven Spielberg film “The Post,” the journey of Katherine Graham is chronicled. Graham, the first female publisher of a major American newspaper, was heading the Washington Post when the Pentagon Papers were leaked. The papers, which detailed how the American public was misled about its involvement in the Vietnam War, were highly sensitive material. The New York Times published these papers and were subsequently legally barred from printing further. With the weight of potentially losing the company, Graham must decide whether or not to publish the papers. – Logan Stanley

TV Show: “Episodes”

Set in the heart of Hollywood, “Episodes” follows a British screenwriting couple Sean and Beverly Lincoln (Stephen Mangan and Tamsin Greig) who are offered a deal they can’t refuse to move to America and recreate their wildly successful show “Lyman’s Boys.” But the show heads downhill when the network forces them to hire Matt LeBlanc for the lead role. What follows is miscue after miscue, as the Lincolns struggle to salvage their show’s integrity while trying to please half-brained network executives at the same time. You can catch all five seasons of “Episodes” on Netflix. – Brandon Cline

Movie: “Downsizing”

I’m a sucker for movies that offer a whimsical premise at first glance and follow it up with deep questions of self, purpose, and the human condition. What seemed from the trailer to be a straight-up comedy was in fact a story of self-discovery in a world fraught with change. Matt Damon portrays a hesitant protagonist, who, after partaking in the new scientific trend of “downsizing,” where a person is shrunk down to a fraction of their original size for economic and ecological benefit, finds that his new size gas given him a paradigm shift. – Andrew Watson