Quick Hits

By Michael Brock, Sports Editor

• Interim Athletic Director to be named

On Jan. 13, Athletic Director Bill Chaves was named to the same position at the University of North Dakota. University president Mary Cullinan is expected to announce an interim athletic director and formal plan this week.

• Cross country head coach Chris Shane fired

On Dec. 19, former EWU cross country coach Chris Shane received a letter of termination from university president Mary Cullinan. The firing came after a 57-page investigative report, which included a number of allegation of misbehavior, was released. Shane, who has been at EWU since 2015, plans to file a lawsuit against the school for public defamation. The Easterner will have more in the coming weeks.

• Big Sky Conference All-Academic team announced 

For fall quarter 2017, 68 EWU student-athletes were named to the Big Sky Conference All-Academic team. To qualify, students must maintain a 3.2 grade point average or better and play in at least half of the team’s competitions. The list includes 30 football, 16 women’s soccer, nine volleyball, seven men’s cross country and six women’s cross country student-athletes.

Michael Brock, Editor in Chief
Michael Brock is The Easterner’s Editor in Chief. Brock, a senior studying journalism, was born and raised in Petersburg, Alaska. He is in his second year with the Easterner and has plans to pursue a career in sports writing after college.