Sblendorio Ready to Step Into New Role as Dean of Wide Recievers

Brad Brown

Brad Brown

By Chris Valdez, For The Easterner

Nic Sblendorio, a name not many EWU football fans may know. Nonetheless, he’s out to prove he has what it takes to lead the Eagles offense and the EWU program to a place they haven’t been since 2010 — the FCS national title game.

“We gotta get a national title,” said Sblendorio. “We’re hungry for more.”

The senior wide receiver is stepping into somewhat of a new role now that former teammates and fellow wide receivers Cooper Kupp, Kendrick Bourne and Shaq Hill are gone. Sblendorio is now the only senior wide receiver, as well as the only senior on the entire offensive unit.

A few years playing behind such great receivers like Kupp, Bourne and Hill has taught Sblendorio just what it takes to be a top player at the position and what it takes to lead a team to their ultimate goal of winning a national championship.

Sblendorio said he has been able to learn a lot from his former teammates.

“You take little bits and pieces from each person,” Sblendorio said.

Sblendorio said he expects to take over the position group and lead the unit in the right way. He’ll be using this new role as an opportunity to showcase his talents and just what he’s capable of doing. Sblendorio feels he’s ready and up for the challenge, and his new head coach feels no different.

Former offensive line coach Aaron Best is in the midst of preparing for his first season as head coach of the EWU football program and said he is aware of just what kind of athlete Sblendorio is. Best was the coach who recruited Sblendorio out of Skyline High School in Issaquah.

When asked about his expectations of Sblendorio heading into his senior season, Best said that he chooses standards over expectations because expectations are things that need to be met.

Coach Best said he feels Sblendorio has higher standards for himself than the team does for him and that’s saying something.

“We got pretty high [expectations],” Best said.

Coach Best believes Sblendorio has what it takes to be a great leader; “He’s up for the challenge,” Coach Best assures.

Sblendorio is no stranger when it comes to stellar performances on the football field. On three separate occasions, Sblendorio has put together great performances for EWU.

On September 12, 2015, Sblendorio put together a stellar receiving performance against Northern Iowa, reeling in a team-high 10 receptions for 158 yards. A week later, Sblendorio’s stat line against Montana State was three receptions for 120 yards and one touchdown. The season before, Sblendorio had five receptions for 89 yards and one touchdown against the University of Montana.

Sblendorio has shown glimpses of playmaking ability and that he is capable of putting together an efficient and impactful receiving performance. Sblendorio has also shown he has the ability to be great off the field as well. In 2015, he was named to the Big Sky Conference All-Academic Team for the second straight season.

An amazing EWU career for Nic Sblendorio is getting set to start its next chapter; look for Sblendorio to put together a stellar senior campaign this upcoming season.

As the 2017 season gets underway, Sblendorio is ready to step into the spotlight and prove that he can be the next great EWU receiver.