The Winter Aftermath

Local roads surrounding the Cheney campus have been left with cracks and potholes

The winter weather has left its mark on roads around Cheney and Spokane

Whitney Bolar for The Easterner

Whitney Bolar for The Easterner

By Kyle Fredricks, Staff Reporter

Snow and ice covered Cheney this past winter, and the local roads show the wear and tear, forcing drivers to be even more cautious.

Erika Griffin, a student at EWU, said on top of the snow and ice on the roads, she is noticing potholes and cracks

in the pavement.

“Now that most of the snow and ice has melted, I’m realizing some of the holes in the road on my drive to school and town, and the last thing I need is a flat tire,” Griffin said.

Whitney Bolar for The Easterner
Outside of Parking Lot 11, cracks and potholes leave vehicles having to avoid

According to the City of Cheney Transportation Improvement Plan, the city plans to make transportation improvements of nearly 11 miles of road by 2020 to combat the damages done by natural causes and winter conditions.

The Transportation Improvement Plan also has breakdowns which roads will receive the attention of the Cheney Street Division, along with the estimated cost and year of completion.

“It’s been nice to not have to worry about patches of ice recently,” said Griffin. “But now with all the road damage, I just hope that they stay on top of this problem like they did when we had all the snow, but there’s always the bus.”

For those affected by the winter conditions, the Spokane Transit is free to ride for EWU students with a valid student ID and offers real-time updates on route times or detours when issues, such as severe weather, occur.

According to the City of Cheney Snow Removal Policy, action is taken when snow accumulation reaches two inches, six inches and anything more than six inches.

Cracks stretch across roads in front of campus

When two inches of snow accumulates, the city applies traction control materials at intersections and steep grades. The materials help with tire traction, as well as aid the melting of snow and ice. Workers apply the materials to areas with the most traffic first, and then less traveled streets, according to the Snow Removal Policy.

When the snow accumulation reaches six or more inches, the city dispatches snow plowing equipment, and apply traction control materials after workers finish, according to the Snow Removal Policy.

Griffin said the possibility of damage being caused to the streets by the plowing equipment or traction materials is probably part of the problem, but it is a necessity because of all the snowfall Cheney received this year.

“I don’t think that all the chemicals and constant scraping is good for the roads,” said Griffin. “But, the busses have to run, and students have to get to class. I’d rather have clear roads even though I have to keep an eye out for potholes and such. It’s never a bad thing to be extra cautious when driving.”