Pick-your-own, local farms are plentiful in the Cheney Area

By Logan Stanley, Staff Writer

As the fall season gets underway, U-Pick farms are in full swing. For those who enjoy these farms, there are plenty to visit that are located around Spokane County.

Carver Farms

Located in Newman Lake, Carver Farms is about a 45 minute drive from Cheney (36.5 miles). Open Wednesday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., the farm offers a variety of goods; green beans, pumpkins, mini pumpkins, gourds, apples, winter squash, beets, cabbage, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, tomatillos, corn stalks and onions.

Prices vary depending on the product, but 99 cents per pound is the standard rate for most items, and nothing costs more than $1.89 per pound. Consumers can also pick up local honey (half gallon jug for $28, $14 for a two pound jar and $8 for a one pound jar) and various frozen berries (huckleberries, marionberries, strawberries and blueberries). Cash and card is accepted, with a $10 minimum for cards.

Hidden Acres

This attraction, located at the base of Mt. Spokane in Green Bluff, is about a 50 minute drive from Cheney (35.4 miles). One of the more established farms in the area, Hidden Acres has been in operation since 1970 according to its website and offers a selection to choose from asparagus, pumpkins, apples (23 varieties) and winter squash.

There is also free range, organically fed duck, chicken and turkey eggs available, alongside local unpasteurized honey in the jam shop. For those who love animals, there is a petting zoo stocked with farm animals.

Beck’s Harvest House

Just like Hidden Acres, Beck’s is also located in Green Bluff. Every weekend this month, the Beck’s is hosting a Fall Festival. The festival  offers summer apple picking, horse-drawn wagon rides, pony rides, friendly family farm funland, a giant 5-acre corn maze, harvest BBQ, fresh pie, ice cream, pumpkin donuts, caramel apples, various food vendors, craft booths, live music, fresh picked produce, face painting, Pumpkin Land to pick out your pumpkin and a chance to meet the Pumpkin Princess.

The festival is open every Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., however, not everything listed is going to be available the whole duration of the open hours.

Cherry Shack

This family-run orchard, located in Colbert, is about a 50 minute drive (30.9 miles) from Cheney. Apples are the dominant item available on the orchard, with prices beginning at 55 cents per pound. Cherry Shack also offers heirloom cider at $6 a gallon and $3.50 a half a gallon, homemade pies ranging from cherry to apple and homemade jams such as apricot and strawberry.

Hansen’s Green Bluff Orchard

Along with Cherry Shack, Hansen’s is also located in Colbert. Customers can choose from over 50 different apple varieties that are available throughout October. During the Apple Festival, an event designed to showcase a variety of apples in a friendly atmosphere, there are special items that can be purchased which include canned chunky applesauce, take-n-bake pastries, jam, local honey, and fresh pasteurized apple cider. October cider pressings include cherry/apple cider.

The Fall Festival also includes live music, craft booths and corn and straw mazes. The festival is open only on weekends until 5 p.m. and runs until October 30.

Whether it is picking fresh apples or drinking fresh pressed cider, there are plenty of fall festivities one can engage in. There is no shortage of these activities, as U-Pick farms are spread out across the county and surrounding areas.