Spring concert is back bringing country and soul performers

By Kristi Lucchetta, staff writer

Parmalee-(1)Screen-Shot-2016-05-16-at-7.44.40-PM

Photo contributed by parmalee.com       Photo contributed by allenstone.com    

The spring concert is back at EWU and bringing Parmalee and Allen Stone on May 23 in Reese Court at 7:30 p.m.
“All Eagle Entertainment [EE] events are an alternative to going out drinking and a safe way for students to have fun,” EWU senior and EE concert coordinator Madi Castro said.
Past concerts brought popular musicians such as Macklemore in 2013 and Andy Grammer in 2015.

EWU alumnus Jarett Snyder attended both the Macklemore and Andy Grammer concert performances on campus.
“The concerts were dope because EWU [was] able to get good artists here,” said Snyder. “Macklemore and Andy Grammer put on a great show for us students. There were so many students that came out to see both shows so I assume the concerts are a big deal for students.”

“Everything has a fee and this is totally free with nationally touring artists,” said Castro. “We try our best to make it an annual event.”Parmalee is a country rock band that includes brothers Matt and Scott Thomas, cousin Barry Knox and longtime friend Josh McSwain. Their roots are bluegrass, traditional country, southern rock and blues, which the members in the band grew up listening to, according to the band’s webpage, www.parmalee.com.
One of the more popular songs Parmalee has produced is titled “Carolina,” which was released back in 2013 and received critical praise from People, The New York Times, USA Today, Newsday and Billboard.

Allen Stone is a solo artist with a soul and rhythm and blues feel. Stone was born in Chewelah, Washington, which is 45 minutes north of Spokane. According to mtv.com, USA Today has called Stone a “pitch-perfect powerhouse.” The New York Times has been known to compare his music to Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Donny Hathaway and Bill Withers.
Stone sees himself as a “hippie with a soul” with his long, curly blonde hair and thick-rimmed glasses referring to not only his looks but the messages in his music.

He received his start in church when he was only three years old. Stone has spent the last four years fixating on his different and old-fashioned style, according to MTV.
“I’m not too familiar with Allen Stone but I’m sure if EWU chose him for the spring concert he must be good,” said Snyder. “The last two concerts I attended did not disappoint but they were artists most students knew about.”