Week long events taking place at the Get Lit! Festival

Back to Article
Back to Article

By Kalli Wolf, staff writer

Get Lit! director Melissa Huggins described the program, which takes place April 11-17, as a week-long book festival. “It was started in 1998 and it’s been a part of EWU ever since,” she said.

There are near 40 events taking place throughout the week. Huggins said Get Lit! brings in locally, regionally and nationally-known authors to the festival.

However, GetLit! is not limited to book authors. There will be a variety of events such as live music, poetry slams, readings and writing workshops.

Get Lit! reaches out to a variety of authors including graphic novelists, historical novelists and poets. “We try to have a little bit of something for everyone,” Huggins said.

The events will take place throughout downtown Spokane, the EWU Riverpoint Campus and EWU’s campus in Cheney.

On April 15, the headlining poet Cornelius Eady will be at The Lincoln Center along with his band, Rough Magic.

Though events will be taking place all week, Huggins said the event is somewhat weighted towards the second half of the week. “Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday we’ll have a couple of events each day in the evening and then Thursday, Friday, and particularly Saturday, are kind of the busy days,” she said.

The events on April 16 will be held at the Spokane Convention Center and will consist of book launches, readings, book signings and more.

Huggins and Tony Payne, EWU graduate student and Get Lit! assistant coordinator, have been working all year to make the festival happen.

Around 10 other students have been working alongside Huggins and Payne as well. Huggins said the students are a mix of undergraduates and graduate students and are from a variety of different departments. Students work on things such as social media, web design, graphic design, writing, editing and more. One of the accomplishments is the 32-page Get Lit! Festival guide that was completely produced by the students.

Get Lit! works with The Inlander to print and distribute the guides. “They’re one of our biggest sponsors,” Huggins said.

Huggins said tons of EWU alumni and EWU faculty help and participate with the festival as well.

Get Lit! provides opportunities for students from a variety of departments. Payne was formerly an intern for Get Lit! and learned skills such as grant writing just by holding his new position as assistant coordinator. “There’s a whole lot of opportunities within Get Lit!,” he said.

Payne is also responsible for tasks such as coordinating volunteers and editing students’ blog posts. “[I] very happily took on this part-time job in the office this year,” he said.

Huggins was also an intern, as well as the assistant coordinator, before becoming the director of the program.

Students interested in interning can contact Huggins directly through the email listed on the Get Lit! website.

All but three Get Lit! events are free to students. However, students will be able to get into ticketed events with no cost by bringing their student ID with them.