EWU Women Lead the Way at 45th Annual Pelluer Invitational

By Logan Stanley, Copy Editor

Over the weekend in winter-like conditions, the EWU track and field competed in the 45th Annual Pelluer Invitational.

The three-day invitational was comprised of regional opponents in the University of Idaho (UI) and the University of Montana (UM) and is the only home meet on the season for EWU. In total, four new top-10 marks were hit during the meet.

On the women’s side, EWU took home the victory by winning both dual matchups, defeating UM 95 to 74 and UI 106 to 64. Leading the way for the women were a number of athletes across multiple events.

Freshmen Carli Corpus and Kaili Keefe both added their names to the EWU all-time list. Corpus won the 3000 meters in a time of 10:20.87 (sixth on top-10 list) and Keefe ran 4:33.24 to place second in the 1500 meters (eighth on top-10 list).

Senior Kendra Hamm turned in multiple top performances with a win in the heptathlon (4,674 points), 200 meters (26.13) and a second-place finish in the long jump. Hamm’s mark of 18-4 1/2 in the long jump is good for ninth on the top-10 list.

As well as Corpus, Keefe and Hamm, another trio of Eagles excelled with first-place finishes – junior Dominique Butler in the triple jump with a mark of 38-4 1/2, senior Erin Clark in the pole vault at 12-7 1/2 and senior Samantha Baker in the javelin with a throw of 149-10.

Sophomore Elizabeth Pouty placed second in the pole vault, tying with teammate Clark at 12-7 1/2, and that mark moves Pouty up to eighth on the top-10 list.

It was a team effort that impressed women’s head coach Marcia Mecklenburg.

“We had some great performances from numerous athletes given the challenging conditions they were competing,” said Mecklenburg. “I could not be more pleased or proud of the crew.”

On the men’s side, the squad suffered defeats in both matchups, 71 to 75 against UM and 76 to 79 against IU. There were bright spots to look at though, with a handful of victories picked up by EWU’s youngsters.

Freshman Colton Johnsen won the 1500 meters in a 3:58.29, freshman Keshun McGee won the long jump with a leap of 23-11 and freshman Dawson Lack won the 100 meters in 11.44.

The men’s 4×100 relay – consisting of junior Chez Jackson, sophomore Jonah Matthews, junior Jeremy VanAssche and Lack– placed first with a time of 41.29. That time ties the ninth-best mark on the top-10 list.

The field events were controlled by EWU; senior Scottie Miller won the discus in 157-10 and placed second in the shot put with a toss of 52-6. In the hammer throw, senior Shawn Buck took first with a mark of 174-11.

In total, men’s head coach Stan Kerr was content with the team’s work.

“Overall, it was a good day for us,” said Kerr. “We knew coming in that the weather would play a factor in the quality of performances. Today, however, great attitudes trumped the climate and our athletes generated several performances.”

Up next for the EWU track and field team is a pair of meets in California this weekend. Some of the team will head to Torrance for the Mt. SAC Relays from April 13 through April 15, while some of the team will participate in the Long Beach Invitational on April 14 and 15. The rest of the team that is not traveling to California will participate in the Whitworth Twilight in Spokane on April 13. That meet begins at 2 p.m.