ASEWU Election Season is Here

By Kyle Fredricks, Staff Reporter

ASEWU is beginning the election process and is now accepting applications for every ASEWU committee position.

Raul Sanchez, director of elections for ASEWU, said that all 12 positions are open for election. These positions are: president, vice president, finance vice president, academic affairs, athletic affairs, diversity outreach, graduate affairs, legislative affairs, student activities, students health and safety services, students services and technology advancement.

In order to be considered for a position, Sanchez said that students must have attended winter quarter at EWU, or any other college for three years, and have a cumulative 2.5 GPA. Any student can also re-run for a position as long as the requirements are met.

“We’re really looking for students who have a sense of Eagle Pride,” said Sanchez. “These students will be gaining valuable leadership and networking skills, as well as working alongside the students and faculty to improve EWU.”

Events will be taking place throughout April and the beginning of May where students running for an ASEWU committee position can interact with one another. These events range from Q&A panels to barbecues where students not running for a position can ask questions to the potential committee members and get a better sense of who they are.

“The students are the hiring committee,” said Sanchez. “They vote for who they want to see on the ASEWU Committee. These events are planned so every student has an opportunity to meet with the applicants and ask their own questions and talk about what they feel should be addressed.”

A Q&A panel will be held on April 19 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the campus mall, and on April 24, a BBQ with housing and residential life will take place from 3-5 p.m. on the LA Lawn.

The first primary election will then take place the following day on April 25 from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Results of the primary election will be released April 26 at noon.

After the primary election, another panel with housing and residential life will be held on May 3 in the Snyamncut Great Room from 4 to 6 p.m. One last debate will also take place May 8 from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Hargreaves Library. Then on May 9 from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., the general election will be held with the results coming the following day at noon after being approved by the current ASEWU council.

For those interested in applying for an ASEWU committee position, visit the EWU ASEWU webpage for the online application form. The cutoff for applying is April 14 at 1 p.m., and students must turn their applications into Sutton Hall 110.