EWU Offensive Coordinator Accepts Job at Utah

Under Troy Taylor, quarterback Gage Gubrud set a single-season FCS record for passing yards

GoEags.com

By Riley Baker, Staff Reporter

After spending his first year in a collegiate coaching position as EWU’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Troy Taylor is headed to the Pac-12.

One year removed from being a head coach at the high school level for Folsom High School in Sacramento, California, Taylor has accepted the offensive coordinator position with the University of Utah.

During his time in Sacramento, Taylor was the coach of Jake Browning, now the starting quarterback at the University of Washington. Under Taylor’s tutelage, Browning set the national high school record for touchdowns in a career, throwing 229 over the span of four years.

Taylor joins a coaching staff manned by head coach Kyle Whittingham, replacing Aaron Roderick and Jim Harding who split the offensive coordinator duties last year in a dual role. Roderick was fired from the staff and Harding was named assistant head coach.

Taylor will be Utah’s ninth offensive coordinator in the last 10 years and will bring a faster offensive style to the Utes.

“We don’t huddle and we have the ability to go fast,” said Taylor in an interview with The Salt Lake Tribune. “We try to be aggressive and attack all parts of the field. It’s a little different than what some people are used to.”

In his lone season at EWU, Taylor coached sophomore quarterback Gage Gubrud, a former walk-on, to an FCS record setting season with 5,010 passing yards. Gubrud also shared the FCS Offensive Player of the Year award with teammate Cooper Kupp.

“He brought a lot of things to the table,” said Baldwin. “There’s a huge list of things I could talk about in terms of how we communicated, how we brought plays in to involve the receivers in the run game more and definitely improved in what we can do with the quarterback run game.”

With Taylor’s departure, the Eagles will move on to their third offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in three seasons after years of stability in the position. Zak Hill, now the co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Boise State, had served in the same position at EWU from 2009-2015.

Baldwin and the Eagles will now be actively looking for a new offensive coordinator before the program starts back up in the spring.