EWU students find a place in Cheney to cool off

Illustration by Heidi Wachtel

Illustration by Heidi Wachtel

By Kenna Tornow, contributing writer

Grab the sunblock and the fishing pole because Cheney has a hot spot EWU students are taking advantage of to cool off, fish, kick back with friends and crack a cold one.

Fish Lake is located right in the heart of Cheney and only 4.2 miles from EWU, making it an easy destination for students to get to whenever they want. EWU junior Juan Hernandez said he enjoys Fish Lake because it is close and convenient for students to get to.

EWU junior Thomas Newton said, “It’s just nice to be able to go out there and soak in the water.”

Fish Lake is a small, 47-acre lake that fills up quickly and even has its very own sand. EWU junior Colby Starring said he likes Fish Lake because it is the only lake around with sand. He added that he has learned to get there early and beat the rush of people because it gets packed on a hot day.

EWU senior Ian Bouchard said he likes that the lake is small because it makes it easier to intermingle with people.

Fish Lake also includes a playground and 10.8-mile walking trail from Cheney to Spokane. EWU junior Lauren Fisher said she loves running on the trail or even going on a casual walk with friends during the day. Fisher added she even saw baby turtles one afternoon.

Bouchard said Fish Lake is a good place friends to get together and there are a lot of new people to meet and drink beer with. However, according to Bouchard, “Fish Lake can hurt your school studies sometimes because the lake tends to be a bigger priority during spring quarter.”

Bouchard is not the only EWU student who likes to indulge in a beverage at Fish Lake. Newton said his favorite part about Fish Lake is being able to go sit out on a floaty, take his floating cooler with him and drink some beer.

Starring, who goes multiple times a month, said, “I like to get in the water, drink a few beers and relieve the stress of school.”

Newton mentions the lake is lacking in fish to catch. “I wish someone would put some more fish in the lake. After all, it is called Fish Lake,” Newton said.

Not only does the fishing need improvement, the parking needs to be expanded as well. When it is a hot day, and everyone rushes to the lake, parking fills up quick. Starring said he really wants the parking improved.

The small lake has room for everyone on a hot day and according to Hernandez the lake demands some cold beverages and relaxation each time he goes.