Annual MayFest arrives in Cheney with exciting events

Illustration by Abbi Vance

Illustration by Abbi Vance

By Montse Franco, contributing writer

Dancing, bungee jumping and human foosball are only a few of the fun-filled events taking place at Cheney’s fourth annual MayFest this weekend.

Cheney’s annual MayFest commences May 13 at 7 p.m. with a street dance and a fire show, according to Douglas Labar, owner of The Mason Jar. The Kelly Hughes Band will be playing and the Spokane Aerial Troupe will be performing. MayFest events will continue on May 14.

“A huge kick-off of the event is our four and a half block walk,” said Labar. “People come in costumes and we have the whole Cheney High School marching band. All the proceeds go to American Cancer Association, if you want to donate.” Anyone can also get sponsored and donate the money raised, according to Labar.

The Cheney streets will be full of a wide variety of vendors. “We have over 75 vendors, with local information, Turnbull and Save Our Station, to craft vendors of all sorts,” Labar said. For those who enjoy art MayFest has something unique. “There will be an artist alley with [interactive] art for the community to join in on as well as art for sale,” Labar said.

MayFest will also have events for the whole family to participate in. There will be a 3-on-3 basketball tournament, a climbing wall, pedal carts and other assorted kids games. Human foosball is a successful returning event this year. Other fun events include a car show, a library book sale and raffles, according to Labar. A new addition to MayFest this year is the bungee jump trampoline.

EWU student organizations will be a part of MayFest as well. “EWU clubs will offer their activities from archery and fencing to hip-hop dance,” Labar said. EWU’s Baile Folklorico dance group, Dance Force, Ragtag Romantics and Twist will all be performing live.

This will be Baile Folklorico’s first time performing at MayFest. Heriberto Sanchez-Garcia, a freshman and member of the Baile Folklorico, said he is looking forward to participating in MayFest. “Since this is my first year at Eastern, I haven’t been in MayFest yet. I expect a great multicultural celebration and hopefully we have that support towards what we stand for when we represent our Mexican roots,” Sanchez-Garcia said.

Another EWU student who is excited to participate in the event is Alexandrea Doucette, a senior and captain of EWU’s Dance Force. “I think for most of the team this is our first time attending MayFest. So it’s going to be a completely new experience and hopefully an annual one to come,” Doucette said. Also performing live will be the Nashville native band Herrick.

Individual businesses help sponsor MayFest, according to Labar. “It is put together by a board now consisting of Debbie and Brian Anderson who own the Holiday Inn and Against the Grain, Jason Williams the PR guy from the Owl Pharmacy, Catherine Lowry head of the Cheney library and myself,” Labar said.

MayFest has grown quite a bit since it first started four years ago. “This event is all about getting our community together, and we mean the whole community from Cheney families, to old time farms to the college kids,” Labar said.