Eat your way to etiquette with the ninth annual Luncheon

Illustration by Abbi Vance

Illustration by Abbi Vance

By Kenna Tornow, Contributing Writer

If there is a right way to eat spaghetti, the EWU etiquette luncheon is sure to teach it.

EWU is gearing up to host its ninth consecutive Etiquette Luncheon sponsored by Alpha Kappa Psi, Beta Alpha Psi and EWU career services in Tawanka Hall 215 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on April 29. As an added bonus for food fans, “The meals provided do taste really good,” said EWU senior Jaspal Gill, Beta Alpha Psi president.

Besides eating some tasty food, students are able to learn how to dine in a professional setting. Jessica Berwick, career services adviser and etiquette luncheon coordinator, said the annual event is to help students learn basic dining etiquette so that they are prepared to bring their best self to professional situations that involve food.

Berwick said that Melanie Monek, EWU alumni from Washington Trust Bank human resources department, will be conducting the etiquette component this year. She will bring real life examples from her time in a human resources department.

“We’ll be helping them with lifelong etiquette skills that can serve them when taking clients to dinner and participating in company gatherings in addition to interviewing,” Berwick said. Berwick said her goal is to bring students together in a no-pressure environment to ask questions and practice.

All students can benefit from attending this event, according to Berwick. “At some point in their professional career, most people will have an interview over lunch or dinner, participate in a professional networking event where alcohol is served, dine with their supervisor, take clients to lunch or participate in a company holiday party or picnic,” Berwick said.

Alpha Kappa Psi President and EWU senior Cassandra Fogel will be giving a speech on the importance of etiquette in a professional setting. “Any student can benefit from this because organizations will hold lunch interviews or even networking events [where] food is served, and I believe every student should know the correct etiquette,” Fogel said.

“A lot can be learned at this event in just a few hours,” Gill said. Beta Alpha Psi members and pledges will be in attendance. This is a practice round for them, as they will be attending a spring banquet that will involve putting their etiquette luncheon skills to the test. Gill said he believes anyone who can should attend. “It is good to practice here in a comfortable environment, and ask questions so you will be prepared in the future,” he said.

Thanks to Alpha Kappa Psi and Beta Alpha Psi their continued financial support continues to make the event affordable for students, according to Berwick. To add to the support this year Numerica Credit Union, Moss Adams and Fruci are sponsoring the luncheon as well. EWU dining services also plays a huge part in customizing each course to cover many scenarios.

The event is $10 per student, and all students should have been registered by April 21. This year there was already a waiting list in place and professional attire is recommended for the event.