Editor’s note:

The one about early Christmas

By Eric Long, Editor-in-Chief

Christmas. It’s here. Stores are starting their sales, Starbucks’ infamous red cups are being filled with Peppermint Mochas and Gingerbread Lattes, replacing the PSL, and signs are being posted for the numerous appearances of Santa. But there’s an issue: we’re hardly in the middle of November.

Have we said, “Screw you,” to Thanksgiving? Should we just call it “Pre-Black Friday Day and make dinner a time to practice taking down old ladies?” While the feeling of the holiday season can fill hearts with warmth and joy, we should be enjoying the prospects of our bellies being full of turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing — save room for the pie.

Sadly, we live in a country ruled by money and the idea of getting filthy rich. Corporations know Americans love their holidays and more money is made each year these corporations push out Christmas earlier.

I enjoy the warm feelings of the holidays as much as the next person, but can we please get through Thanksgiving before Christmas songs are sung and mall Santas drearily pose in front of cameras with screaming children on their laps?